The total area of Erfurt's green spaces amounts to 550 hectares of recreational land and more than 1,000 hectares of forest, creating plenty of opportunities for relaxing strolls as well as sporting activities. The egapark in particular marks Erfurt out as a 'green city'. It is the city's largest park, can be visited all year round and has a number of special gardens and conservatories. Since its opening in 1961 it has held annual open-air spectacles that illuminate the parklands from spring until autumn.
The Dendrological Garden, created between 1959 and1961 for research purposes, is located between Luisenpark, Steigerwald forest and egapark.
This park, created at the turn of the 20th century, was christened Luisenpark in memory of the visit of the King and Queen of Prussia.
One of Germany's most significant horticultural monuments from the 1960s, egapark is among the most important legacies of garden architecture from that era.
The Hirschgarten was created as part of the construction of the present-day State Chancellery in the 18th century.
The Kilianipark, located in Erfurt's northern district of Gispersleben, is where the annual parish fair and the May Fire are held.
This former military site was lavishly cleaned up, landscaped and planted over in the 1990s.