The historical Brühl Garden was only transformed into a municipal park in 1940. Prior to this it was a spa garden for many years and before that, a pleasure garden used by Count Boyneburg, governor of Mainz. In the interim, the site was used on many occasions as a burial ground for people who had died without ecclesiastical support. The name was first given to the park in the 1920s, due to its location in Erfurt's Brühl district.
Visitors to Brühl Garden should take the no. 1 or 2 tram (Brühler Garten stop) or the no. 4 tram (Theater stop). The park is accessible by car via Mainzerhofplatz. The garden has a bandstand, playground and benches, and a disabled WC.