Another Erfurt landmark is the Merchants' Bridge (Krämerbrücke), the longest series of inhabited buildings on any bridge in Europe. The Merchants' Bridge is Erfurts most interesting secular construction, initially in wood but rebuilt in stone in 1325. There were originally 62 narrow buildings along its 120-metre length, but subsequent redevelopment left just 32 buildings. Of what was once a pair of bridgehead churches, only the Church of St. Aegidius remains at the eastern end of the bridge today (impressive views from the tower, Tue - Sun 11 am - 5 pm). The Merchants' Bridge is lined with galleries, cafés and boutiques offering traditional crafts, Thuringian blue printed fabrics, hand-painted ceramics, handblown glassware, jewellery, wood carvings, antiques and delicious Thuringian specialities - perfect for browsing.
Tram no. 3, 4 or 6 to Fischmarkt
By car: Domplatz or Anger 1 multi-storey car park